Tuesday 16 February 2016

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. Day 6- Tuesday 11th August 2015, 3980m, Karanga Camp

Karanga Camp, 3980 meters above sea level.

Today was a lot better that I had expected. Same routine as every other morning. I felt quite sick this morning as I didn't sleep too well. I did manage to eat half a bowl of porridge and a drink of barocca, which was horrible.


The first part of the day was the Barranco Wall. From camp this looked terrifying. Once we had begun it was tricky but manageable. There was one bit in particular that I really did not like. I had to put my foot across to a higher rock and rely on one of the guides to pull me up as there was no where for me to hold onto. Good job the guides that take you up this mountain are so amazing! The rest of the wall, including kissing rock (which you have to hug to get around, so you don't fall off) was tough but enjoyable once you had reached the top.





After the wall there was lots of walking up and down hill. The biggest of these hills was right near camp.

We arrived at camp at 1:15 pm had lunch and a rest. At 4pm we went on an acclimatisation trek from camp up 240 meters. The view from there was wonderful you could see Mount Meru.



The trek up took 1 hour and the trek down took 30 minutes. We then had a wash (I checked the blisters on my heels and they have not got any worse) and then had dinner.


Today my porter had set up my roll matt which was wonderful. The small things really do make a difference and it was so kind of him to do so.

Tomorrow things are supposed to become tougher as we walk to the next camp. The walk there will only take about 3 hours 30 minutes but we will be going up to 4600m. We will have dinner and rest until 11pm when we will get up and trek to the summit (leaving camp at 12am) I am nervous and excited all at the same time.

The view from this camp and the sunset are out of this world, pretty sure the camera won't do it justice.


Right I am off to bed now because it is freezing!

Night x








No comments:

Post a Comment